Friday, February 27, 2009

A good day...


(Painting: The worth of souls...by Liz Lemon Swindle)


As most of you know, I work for a management company that has 'low-income' housing. Although I believe that 'in theory' the program is good, throughout the years I have seen a lot of abuse of the system that has let my cynical side slip in gear. Some of my residents (usually the ones on social security fixed incomes) would not be able to make ends meet without such programs. One of my properties only has 7 rental assistance vouchers that enables the resident to only pay 30% of the monthly income to rent. The rest of the 40 apartments have to pay the basic rent.

This past week one of those rental assistance vouchers came open. I ran a report to see who would get it, and was annoyed at who's name came up. I REALLY didn't like the idea of him getting the assistance. I have a theory that when people get the assistance that they are less likely to move. The resident who's name came up has been one that I wasn't so sure about. He has had a few bad-news friends I've had to trespass from the property. Although I do not think he is involved in illegal things, it's not good that he has friends that are.
I caught him digging in the dumpsters a few times and let him know that he couldn't do that. I thought he was a nice guy, but I was annoyed that he kept getting in there.

I am usually pretty distant and try not to get involved too much emotionally with my residents. I usually have the attitude of "Sorry you lost your job, but the rent still has to be paid."
This resident that just got the assistance lives on $700 a month and has been struggling to make the $525 minimum rent each month.

I now realize that I distanced myself and never stopped to really look at him.
He is thin as a rail either from health issues or lack of food. Probably both. He mentioned once that he was in a lot of pain, but couldn't afford to go to the doctor. Several times when he has been in my office I can hear his stomach growling.

When he came into my office this week he didn't know what I asked him in for. He was walking very slow and holding his ribs in pain. I explained the assistance and he started crying- sobbing actually. When he finally found his voice he confessed that he hadn't eaten in 3 days because he couldn't afford food and was in too much pain to walk to the food bank. My indifferent attitude just melted, I totally started crying. He was so humble and so thankful. When he left he said that he was going to celebrate by eating lunch.

It's nice to have days like this, to remember what my job is really about. But also to remind me how much we have. It is so easy for me to look at what others have and I don't. I am constantly whining about how small and crowded our place is. In reality we have so many blessings. It is easy to overlook them when I am busy coveting everyone else's things.




3 comments:

The crew said...

wow... I am sitting here in tears reading this. the picture first off is a beautiful one so before even reading the story I had tears welling up. that is an amazing story and what an incredible thing you were able to do for this man. You seriously may have saved his life. we can't go many days without eating. I can imagine how wonderful it felt to walk into your home hustling and bustling with your boys and knowing there is not a question if you are going to be able to feed them or have clothes for them. we truly are blessed. I was going to email you in regards to watching the boys. Do you still need me to do that? And if so when? I can't remember. I am still available to do it and looking forward to having fun with them so just let me know. Bethany

Unknown said...

I love that story. It really reminds me that we shouldn't judge others. My kids always ask why I give everyone a dollar that I see on the street here in Vegas.. and even my friends say they won't give because "they'll just go buy booze anyway." It's great that you can truly affect other's lives for the better.

Kendra said...

You are so awesome Michelle. You are so kind and caring I just can't see you thinking the way you say you do.