For each of our kids 5th birthdays we have taken them to Disneyland. The 9th was Ben's 5th birthday and we were off to the happiest place on earth to celebrate.
Ben is such a special boy. He is a bit hyper and is often in a world of his own. But one thing is consistent- He is always happy. Ben is a sweetheart who loves everyone he meets. He is always happy and positive. This morning he woke up and headed into my room to say good morning to me. He had his infectious smile on his face. I'm not a morning person, but it is impossible not to be happy when you see that face.
On our drive down we had a bit of adventure. I was driving along the highway and some swerving cars a few lanes over caught my attention. I looked over and saw a big truck drive over something in the road. That something was a large piece of wood. The truck got the wood airborne and it flew directly at us. Dave was looking in the back seat, probably breaking up the kids fighting. I no sooner said, "Oh sh-" when the piece of wood hit the windshield and smashed it.
Dave hearing my expletive had turned around to see what I was cursing about and didn't even have time to process what was going on before glass dust filled the car. I looked like a vampire I was so shinny. The windshield cracked and held together like it was designed to, but the impact was so hard that some pieces disintegrated and turned to dust.
Luckily we were able to drive the rest of the way to Anaheim and found a mobile glass company to come to the hotel to fix it for us.
Our first stop when we got to Downtown Disney was the Lego store. The boys LOVE Legos. (Even Dave) We found Oliver's favorite character, Woody to totally made from Legos!
When we checked into the hotel and went to our room there was someone in it. It was a maintenance worker. Dave went back to the front and they gave us another room. The next day our room was not cleaned by the time we got back to it in the late afternoon. Luckily we came back mid day and caught the housekeeping staff before they left for the day. I figured the last minute room switch threw their cleaning list off track. We really wanted to nap the kids but I could see how that could happen and wasn't too annoyed. At least not the first time it happened. We had a great first day in the park, but the second day-Bens birthday was hard. Everything was so crowded and we did a lot of walking around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do. We ended up spending several hours in the park and only seeing one show, and no rides. We decided to go back to the hotel and nap the kids and try to head back later in the evening. It was after 4pm when we got back to the room. Our room was not cleaned. Again! I was so annoyed. I went to the front desk and complained to the manager about it. Instead of just apologizing and making it right he said that if he had "special needs" of getting our room cleaned early that we should have made a request for it. 4:30pm is early? I was so annoyed. He called up the housekeeper lead and told her that our room needed to be cleaned. There were no other carts around and it was obvious that they thought they were done for the day. I went back to the room to get the kids packed up to be out of the room for a bit. On our way out of the room the housekeeper was at the door and I smiled and thanked her. She gave me the crustiest look. I was paranoid the whole time we were gone and checked my tooth brush when we were back. Sure enough it was damp! Dave thinks I am paranoid, but I had to throw it out. We had stayed at so many places on our trips to Disneyland, but this place for sure is somewhere we will never stay again. We never made it back to the park that day. After the cleaning fiasco we didn't get the kids napped until really late. Then Ben threw up. I think the Ice Cream we got him during our time away from the hotel for cleaning was too much lactose for him. Poor thing, and on his birthday!
Dave has always wanted to take the kids on the Canoes, this trip with Coleman and Zach he finally did it.
Oliver loves "mckeen". One of the stores had a whole wall of Cars stuff. Oliver wanted one of everything!
There was a 'dance party' going on in California Adventure. The cool part was a projector that but your shadow up on the buildings. (Dave and the boys are on the far left)
On our last day we were in line for Autopia. When we got to the front Ben started talking to the worker that was sorting people into cars. He was telling her all about his birthday, which was the day before. When she said that he was so cute that she'd take him home he made sure she had a Wii first. Then Ben in his sweet way grabbed her had and said "I like you!" If you know Ben then you know that special boys loving way of melting hearts. He is such a lover and kind heart.
Apparently this poor Disney worker was a victim of Ben's heart melting. When we got off the ride she walked up to Ben and gave him two fast passes to any ride!
Closer inspection of the passes and we realized that each fast pass was good for any ride, and for up to 6 people! Man, it pays to have cute kids.
Coleman however is not charmed by Ben. For some reason those two are always my sibling rivalry two. Ben annoys Coleman and sometimes on purpose, but I think it is because he really likes him and doesn't understand why Coleman doesn't love him back. Coleman for some reason has just decided to be totally annoyed by everything Ben does. He is always saying that he doesn't like Ben. It makes me so sad. I have always said that I would feel like a successful mother if my boys grow up being best of friends.
So I have decided that their punishment for fighting is to have to hug each other. Depending on the severity of the punishment and how much they complain when I give it to them, they will have anywhere from a 10 second to a minute long hug with each other. Ben of course thinks this is the best thing ever. He gladly hugs Coleman. Coleman however hates it. But slowly he is complaining about it less and less. They were pushing each other in line for a ride and Disneyland and in front of everyone had to do a 30 second hug.
Ben got a lot of cool toys and Legos for his birthday that Coleman is dying to play with. He asked Ben if he could play with one. Ben being the sweet child he is said that Coleman could play with them. I interjected and suggested that Coleman tell Ben how much he loves him. Coleman struggled with it, but finally manage to dryly say that he loved Ben. Then today at McDonald's Ben got the toy in his Happy Meal that Coleman wanted. He asked Ben to see it, Ben replied that Coleman could play with it if he said that he loved him 'To infinity and Beyond!" That boy is smart!
Here are some of our obligatory Disneyland pictures...












No comments:
Post a Comment