Monday, August 16, 2010

Not so boring Augusts....

When I was little I hated my birthday being in August. Not only was it during summer vacation and I never was able to have 'school parties', but August was what I called the boring month. The thrill of vacation had left and summer was getting to be a whole lot of nothing. I always hated that it was the month with no 'real' holidays. August also got stuck with a no-thrill birthstone. Other girls got Rubies, Pearls, Diamonds, Emeralds...and me...peridot. I want a Diamond month! I thought even my birthstone was boring!

Well, not only have I grown to love the light-green stone, but August has made quite a come back when it comes to holidays. Ben's birthday, Oliver's Birthday, My nephews birthday, Several friends birthdays, Dave's Fathers birthday and Dave's parents anniversary is all in the month of August. It's a good thing the 4th of August isn't independence day because this month is full.

Here is Ben showing off some of his birthday haul:
Grandma Betty got Benji a Buzz Lightyear doll. He loves it and I love hearing him say that he loves me "To in-fin-a-bee and beyond!"
Grandma Holly & Grandpa Dave gave him some birthday money that he planned how to spend in about 2.3 seconds after he opened his card. Where else? The Lego store! He loves mini characters and bought himself a few guys and his own carrying case. One thing Ben has always loved- boxes, bags and cases to carry around his own treasures in.


When kids come along your birthday isn't quite the celebration it use to be. I almost forget about it with all the busy planing for their special days. (Or maybe that is just because I don't want it to really be the 5th anniversary of my 29th birthday.) But this year right after we got back from our trip to Disneyland for Ben's birthday, I decided to take the day before and the day of my birthday off work and enjoy two days of being a stay at home mom. I actually had a whole week of celebrations.

For my two days of being a stay at home mom the one thing I did not want to do- Stay at home! So the kids and I had two fun days of playing. The first day we went to lunch at Mc Donald's. Not the best grub in town, but with 120 degree heat outside an air conditioned playground can make any pre-cooked meat taste great. Then we headed up to the local splash park.
Splash parks are so awesome. Constant sprinklers on padded ground in the shade. Brilliant. I want one of these in my back yard. Ok-First I want a backyard....then I want one of these in it.

On the day of my 5th anniversary of my 29th birthday we went to A Pirates Paradise. Not only is that the only place I can find my buddy Claudia lately, but the boys had a blast hanging with their friends and skating around.
We even brought Stephanie (Or Smef as Oliver calls her) along for the fun.

Friday my BF Claudia took me to dinner and a movie with several other girls. Our girls night's out are getting legendary. Well, legendary or infamous.

The next Saturday Dave and I went out on a date to celebrate. We went to a Brazilian restaurant in St. George. It was neat. They carry around giant pieces of meat on a stick and carve you off a piece right at your table.
Dave got me several Itunes cards to lower my Itunes wish list a little. I have over 100 songs picked out and waiting to purchase! My mom got me a book written by an old friend of the family. Dave parents gave me birthday money and as always Holly's one rule..."you have to spend it on yourself.' See Dave...she made me shop! I love my new shoes and even got them on sale!
And of course Bethany. The amazing one (who became a fellow mother of 4 in a few short months) always seems to get the perfect thing.

It is a framed picture of a tree with D+M in a heart and then +Z+C+B+O written under. There are two little love birds sitting on the tree, and 4 little baby birds in the nest. SO adorable. I can't wait to find it a place of honor in our new home.

Thank you to all my family and friends for the birthday lovin. You make August like diamonds!

No comments: