Tuesday, July 7, 2009

GOD BLESS THE USA...

There are a lot of things about Mesquite, Nevada that I could complain about. Especially in the scorching 120+ degree summer days. The city is so corrupt I am tempted to put a bat covered searchlight on my roof. But one thing is for sure, they know how to party.
Mesquite still has a small town 'stars hollow' type feel to it. There are always parades, activities and such for the holidays. This 4th of July the city gave free entry to the Rec center for swimming and games.

The boys and I went swimming with Maria and her girls. It's a good thing I had the extra hands. Oliver is still just as crazy in the pool. He constantly tries to get away and swim by himself. The only problem being of course, he doesn't know how to swim. Although he coughs and spits water out when we rescue him, as soon he can he smiles and gives it another go.



Ben has always been deathly afraid of pools. We have taken him in thinking if he got use to it he would soon relax. Even after several attempts he would still wrap his arms around our necks in a death grip and beg to get out.
Bethany (our very own Mary Poppins) had gotten him a little more use to the water in a kiddie pool. Then a few weeks ago at the Rec center I got him into waist high water and down a small slide. This was quite a triumph. But he still wouldn't have anything to do with the deep end or 'the big boy slide'. Of course, in comparison to Oliver, I am pretty glad Ben has some fear of the water.
So while at the Rec. center on the 4th another miracle happened, Ben went happily to the deep end and even went down the 2-story high water slide. I think he partly learned to trust us and partly wanted the McDonald's ice cream cone I promised to get him. Although, it could have been the personal boat he had.



Later that evening the city had entertainment, food vendors and games ....
Zachary got in a dunking booth.


Oliver was loving snow cones. He loved his, some of mine, and most of Dave's.


Then the perfect end to a 4th of July evening....


All that excitement actually paid off in the end...


2 comments:

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

Great pictures! I love the fireworks one... and of course sleeping kids is priceless!

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

Hahaha yes Michelle, Pedro knows he's famous! We talk with him quite a few times a week and he looks at the blog regularly.