Last June I had the calling of decorating the Primary bulletin board. One evening I was working on the bulletin board while the kids played basketball in the cultural hall. Or so I thought. Apparently instead of just playing basketball, Zachary thought it would be fun to play on the stage. He was twisting in the curtains and fell right off the edge of the stage. I heard him crying and the other kids came and told me he was hurt. I figured he just stepped off the edge and was more scared then hurt. I gave him a hug and told him he would be OK. My mother was visiting from California and was there at the church wit us. She was on the couch in the foyer hugging Zach and reassuring him that he will live. I kept on working on my bulletin board. I figured it was just another one of the 'another day/another bruise incidents that come with boys.
Without fail, when you calmly shrug off your kids injury saying things like "you will be OK, you are fine"...that is usually when they are not fine. Zachary started to calm down but I listened to him while I worked on the board. One second he was just whimpering then the next he screams and says "my head hurts, why does my head hurt?" We didn't catch on at first. We figured he was just shocked that he wasn't superman. What we realized after a few minutes was that he actually didn't know. Zach was on a 3 min loop. He would actually forget what happened, forget where he was, forget why his head hurt. When I caught on to how bad he really was hurt I freaked out. We had some friends with us and I ran to Coleman and their friends and asked EXACTLY what happened when Zach fell off the stage. They recounted the story of him twirling in the curtains, stepping off the stage and falling. Then one of the older kids said, "I'm pretty sure he hit his head because when he woke up on the floor he was rubbing the back of his head."
He hit his head and actually was knocked unconscious for a few seconds. I was freaked out to say the least. I ran everyone home then took Zach strait to the emergency room. He continued on his loop. When we were at the hospital he didn't even remember being at the church, or that his Grandma was in town visiting. I was VERY scared.

He got a CT scan. No fracture, no swelling. But he did have a concussion. We had to wake him up every 2 hours that night. By the morning he was back to being himself, but to this day doesn't remember being at the church that day or playing on the stage.
So naturally I get a little scared about head injurys. Yeaterday I went to pick up the boys from school and was running a little late. When I pulled up at the back of the school Zach was sitting on the sidewalk with his head in his hands. I thought it was his way of making a statement about being late. I looked at the clock then rolled down the window to tell him to stop being dramatic cause I was only 2 minutes late.
Just then he looked up and had a huge lump on his head. Coleman and another kid who saw it started explaining that Zachary was attempting to walk backwards and turned right in time to smack his head on a large metal pole on the playground. It was on the front of his head instead of the back like last time, but I knew I couldn't sleep if I didn't have it checked out. So we were off again to the ER room.
Luckily no concussion this time, just one nasty headache and lump. (and heart attack for mom)
5 comments:
Holy Cow! I've seen some bad lumps in my day, but dang. I think that one takes the cake....I'd be a nervous wreck too. Sorry....by the time Oliver starts getting "lumpy" you should be a pro.
Melanie
Oh my gosh. What an great day for you NOT. 2 trip to the ER I would have had it checked to though where he had just hit his head at the church. Hopefully no more trips to the ER for awhile.
I would have been a mess. Head injuries are never a good thing. That lump is HUGE!! Glad he is alright though.
OUCH! He had to hit his head HARD. Poor Zachary.
OH my gosh that thing is MASSIVE!! Poor kid! I'm glad he's alright. Kregg says that it's too bad he didn't get it on Halloween- it would have helped make a great costume.
Post a Comment