Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Happiest decade on earth.....

The past ten years have been quite an adventure. On October 7th, 2000, Dave and I were married. 10 years and 4 kids later we are still in loath with each other. Ooops, I meant Love.
Dave and I joke around a lot, but I do love him. I admire how intelligent and responsible he is. I am a lucky girl to have Dave in my life.


We decided to spend our 10 year anniversary at Disneyland...Without the kids! Surprisingly they were ok with it!

I think Disneyland is a great place. Yeah there is rides, fireworks, parades and other exciting things but I like it for not so conventional reasons.

Our kids get everything they need and want so quickly. Food in the microwave, information on the internet, TV shows on the DVR- They are actually shocked when we watch 'live tv' and they can't pause or fast forward commercials. Disneyland is the answer for teaching patience. You want to ride a fun ride? Wait in line. You want food? Wait in line. After all the walking and line waiting, at the end of the day we wait in line for a tram ride to the car, then in a line to get out of the parking lot. Disneyland is the masterland of non-instant gratification. The kids have plenty of fun and always want to go back. But they had to work a little harder then they are use to for the fun.

Well, I didn't think Dave needed a dose of patience. He has had ten years of dealing with me to teach him that. However I realized that Disneyland was the perfect place to go for another reason. While waiting in line we got to spend time with just each other. Nothing to do but TALK to each other. It was SO strange. It was a lot of fun being a couple and not just co-parents. And bonus-we got to ride the rides together! Its been a while since one of us wasn't going on Winnie the Pooh four times in a row while the other person took the older boys on Splash Mountain!


Of course, we still thought of the kids a lot. We had to get a picture with the giant O for Oliver...who is suddenly obsessed with O's.
The best thing I realized while taking this picture, is that I didn't have to tell Dave about how Oliver is obsessed with O's. He already knew. He knows about most of the kids likes and quarks because he is a very involved parent. He use to even change the kids diapers as much-or even more then I would. Dave is-a wonderful father.

On our anniversary we did a lot of Disneyland things that we skipped in the past. We didn't have our picky eaters, so we ate at the Blue Bayou. We rode the famous "Lillie Belle" train car and got silhouettes made.
The Lillie Belle is an enclosed train car that Walt had made for his wife Lillie. Other then the Disney's the Lillie Bell is only usually used for dignitaries and celebrities. However they have recently started us commoners in. Dave made reservations and we were able to make the grand circle tour around Disneyland in style.

I had seen the silhouette shop on main street, but had never given it a lot of thought. When Dave said that he wanted us to get them made I was expecting to walk in have them take a picture and expose it like a silhouette...or made even use a projector and draw the outline. I was absolutely amazed at how they were really made.
You sit down and the girl in the shop looks up at you, then starts cutting away. The was no projector, no sketching...just her and scissors. I was blown away! It is amazing.....


We were there one night that Disneyland had a trick or treat party. It was so much fun. They limit how many people can attend, so the rides were practically walk on. And of course the kids loved the treats we came home with.

I love this time of year. Disneyland is even more magical during the holidays. Here is a few pumpkin carving ideas if you need one:

Thanks for the fun Dave.
I hope the next 10 are just as adventurous.
You are my favorite person to ride around this world in a giant tea cup with.
Love you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys ROCK!