For some reason that quote (one of my favorites) came to mind as I started to think of a witty way to apologize for my lack of blogging. We have been too busy doing, that I have not found any time to be writing about it.
July flew by. Thank goodness. I feel like such a sneaky evil mom this summer. I did not want my kids sitting around being bored all summer long. With temperatures reaching 120 plus it is not always easy to just send the kids outside to enjoy their summer. I am not a fan of too much TV-or more likely in my house full of nerds-too much computer. I looked into every of kind of program the school and city offered for kids. I found out that the school had a summer school program that anyone could sign up for. The kids would be picked up by the bus, fed breakfast, lunch and then brought home on the bus. Wha? A program for the kids during summer that needed little to no effort on my part??
I have to admit I was giddy.
Even finding out about the program the evening after the due date to sign up I was able to pull it off. My little stinkers decided they did not want to go to summer school and actually HID the sign up papers from me! I was like a puppy sitting out side the office the next Monday morning waiting for the doors to the schools to open.
Much to their chagrin, the boys made it into summer school. They actually had a fun time. Then throughout the month of July I got the boys into the local art program. Unfortunately Ben was not old enough but Zachary and Coleman got a few weeks of fun and learning about art.
Zach's Work:
Coleman's Work:
I think Coleman is more of an Impressionist..
And Zachary is more of a Abstract artist.
(or maybe it was meant to be a chicken after he ate a few nuggets?)
_______________
On the 4th we spent the day at the Roller Rink
and then had a BBQ and watched fireworks with our friends.
I am thankful for Religious Freedoms, Men and Women who serve to protect our great country and of course I really love that this great country chooses to celebrate with pyrotechnics!
______________________
My mom came out for a visit to Cafe Rio. Luckily she planned her visits to Cafe Rio around Coleman's baptism and the 4th of July. We also had our Las Vegas friends come to meet us.
and Coleman worked on his photo-bombing.
________________________________________
Right after dropping my mom off in Vegas I headed up to Tonopah. That crazy little town is the strangest place. The ONE place in town where we use to be able to get interior doors for the apartments, decided not to get them anymore. So to get my apartments their doors I had to rent a truck and drive them up. Sad podunk towns are now making fun of Tonopah.
A few hours outside of Vegas the truck breaks down. Of course it is in the middle of nowhere. At least it was decent middle of nowhere that had cell service. I had decided to take Zachary and Coleman with me since they did not have school. Luckily the air conditioning still worked. We ended up spending 4 hours on the side of the road for a replacement.
I am not even sure the boys noticed.
I wasn't planning on getting to town so late, so I had not made reservations. Besides, it Tonopah! Who would have thought hotels would get full. All the hotels weren't full of course. Just the ONE hotel in Tonopah that I can stay at and sleep without fear. After a looong trip the saddest thing to see is a NO Vacancy sign on the Best Western. I had a little talk with the screaming, panicking girl in my head. It went something like this:
"Lets just go to the Ramada"
Are you insane! Last time I am pretty sure they left the sheets from the last guest on the bed!
"I am sure it is not as bad as you remember it. Besides, everyone is tired. All you need is a bed to sleep on. It doesn't need to be fancy."
We could get bed bugs- lice- or even cooties!
"Would you rather stay at the Clown Motel?"
Now that is just mean.
So the Ramada won out. Close to midnight when we finally got into the room and even the dark of night could not hide the horrors that I found. I know I might have been looking for things since I didn't want to be there in the first place. But even so, if I was, they could have been at least a little harder to find.
The wall at the entry looked like it had some sort of water damage, there was a huge chunk of tile missing out of the tiled counter that I was afraid I was going to cut myself on constantly, and the lights next to the beds did not have light bulbs inside of them. The one light that did have a light blub in the whole room...
I kinda wished it didn't.
At this point starting to think I should have risked it at the Clown motel. I had not even set my bag down before I decided that for the next night we HAD to get to the Best Western. I pulled open the drawer to look for a phone book and when I moved the Gideon's Bible over...well..it wouldn't move over. Not one to be out done by the Gideon's I pushed harder. At which point I tore the Bible from the sticky goo that was the bottom of the drawer.
I swear, I am NEVER listening to that girl in my head again!
Perhaps it was rude, but I ran down to the lobby and used the hotel's computer right under the nose of the clerk to book and confirm a room in the Best Western for the next night.
Much....
PS. The Clown Motel? Glad you asked.
Sometime when my life insurance is paid up and I am alone (can't risk the young ones) and feeling VERY brave...I just might stay at the Clown Motel. Just to say I have. I have not ever been inside, but the outside spoke LOUD enough. It looks like the place you check into, and come out of in a body bag. Seriously, I have seen horror films less chilling then this:
The lobby is enough to make Stephen King rethink a stay.
It is all about location, location, location though isn't it.
Right next door to this charming place?










No comments:
Post a Comment