Early in the summer I made a goal to hike Angels Landing. I had hiked it before- several years (and several dress sizes ago).
I have visited Zion National park several times in the past few years and had not even given Angels Landing a second thought. I knew I wanted to climb it again, "someday".
This summer while listening to a speaker at my company training I realized that I was putting it off, waiting for a perfect time or (an ideal weight) that might never come.
So October 7th, mine and Dave's 11th wedding anniversary we headed up to Zion.
It was my first time camping in the park, and I loved it.
I had worked in Springdale when Dave and I were first dating and have always loved it up there.
One of my favorite smells in the world is a camp fire. And how awesome is it that deer run right through the camp?
The next morning we met up with Shantiell and Brooke and headed up the mountain.
(That is Angels Landing in the background)
The first 2 miles of the hike is switchbacks that climb up and up. The only challenge is the incline. Well, that and trying to breathe with all the laughing. Shantiell and Brooke are pretty fun company.
Charlie's Angles on Angels Landing...classic.
My foot hanging of a cliff, only about 1/3 up.
Brooke and Shan doing their Fanny Pack dance. I think they are trying to convince the world that fanny packs are cool.
Brooke is half goat. She just skipped down the mountain and I had a death grip on that chain.
Finally at the top...
Unfortunately that is not where the story ends.
After top, the scary part begins.
After mussels being tired and sore I had to climb back across the sheer cliffs.
With my bad ankles I already was nervous, and it didn't help having to step down onto slippery sandstone. Not feeling safe in my own feet, I panicked a bit. At one point I froze and was sure I couldn't go on. I was so scared. I am not usually afraid of heights, but I had no faith left in my body. Finally I decided that when I was nervous about a big step down, I would just sit and scoot down. (There ended up being a fair amount of scooting-more about that in a bit)
8 hours, a few scrapes, and a lot of sore mussels later we finally made it all the way back down. 8 hours is a REALLY long time to take on this hike. Brooke, Dave and Shantiell were so awesome not to rush me, but I think I need to step up my game.
So back to my scooting.
(or BUTTering as Brooke named it)
After the hike it was evening time before we got out of the park and into St. George.
Dave and I decided to go to Chili's for dinner. I decided to put on my hoody to at least cover up my sweaty, dirty shirt. After I did so I remembered all the butt scooting. I asked Dave to check and make sure I didn't have dirt all over my rear. He assured me their wasn't.
Dave still claims that he looked and that the lighting is to blame. However, his iPhone was in his hand when I asked him to check me- so there is a good chance his eyes never left the screen.
We had our dinner headed home.
As soon as I walked in my mom asked me if I knew what I looked like.
And here is what she was referring to:
All my scooting must have rubbed my pants away. And the icing on that embarrassment cake-my tighty whiteies that were showing through were stained a light sandstone brown.
Although being the inane guy out on a date with a girl looking like this should be punishment enough-I still feel like I need to give Dave a bit more pay back. Feel free to share your ideas.
I was pretty sure the shower after I got home was the best thing in the world. There was a knock at the door shorty after it that was able to top it.
Shantiell was there with her kids. Not only did she spend the day hiking with me-ALL day- she had a very early flight to NY for her sons treatment the next day. I was so touched that she still took the time to stop by and give me a congratulatory card.
That card is now one of my most prized possessions. Shantiell's son Ethan wrote the card. He has stage IV Neuroblastoma.
The first thing I noticed was Ethan's drawing. How can you not LOVE that Dave is falling off the cliff-into the cactus. Remember this is shortly after finding my pants in their condition-I thought the drawing was the best thing ever. I have to admit as well that I loved being the skinniest stick figure as well. Ethan sure know how to make a girl happy.
I have read this card 1000 times and still tear up. Knowing that strong amazing little boy fights through so much and still has a big smile on his face even time I see him- makes we want to head right back up that mountain.
(You can read more about Ethan HERE)







2 comments:
We love you guys!!
Loved this post Michelle! Way to go hiking! And I died when I saw that picture! So funny. You have to get Dave back for sure. I also loved that sweet tender card. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment