In June the kids and I went to California for my moms 60th birthday. What she didn't know was that we went down to throw her a surprise party. Keeping the party a secret and getting all her family and friends there was not easy. As it was I decided not to tell two of my kids and one of my Aunts that talks to my mom way to often. But we did it! (Thanks Wilmet!)
Either she was surprised or very good at looking dazed and confused.
If you know my mom, then you know she is young at heart. Her favorite movie of all time is the Wizard of Oz. So that became the theme of the party.
I decided to have a 'photo booth' where people could take pictures with Wizard of Oz themed props. So I made this back drop.
Making it wasn't half as much of a challenge as driving it all the way to California.
Luckily I had lots of little helpers and was able to find a house to stash it at so my mom wouldn't see it.
(Thanks Annie!)
____________________________________________________
I always joke that my family calls family reunions- funerals, because that is the only time we all seem to get together. So it was so nice to see so many family members there. They came from all over California and as far as Montana! I was so touched at the effort everyone made, and I know my mom did too.
I have some experience throwing birthday parties for little boys, but I wasn't quite sure what you do at a party for an adult. Even if that term is used loosely in this case. A friend of mine gave a me a great idea, and I loved it. We had everyone attending say their favorite memory or how they met my mom. It was hilarious and she loved it. ( but I have to admit, I expected more dirt from my aunts!)
This is one of my favorite pictures of the party. Not because of anything happening at the time, but because of my mothers comment after seeing it.
She sees the pictures and wonders what she is saying, because she can't figure out the hand gestures. This is particularly funny knowing that my mom can not EVER talk without dramatic hands. I'm pretty sure if you tied up her hands, she'd be a mute.
Exhibit B:
(It must run in the family, that is her sister next to her)
Dave was wonderful to watch the kids all day while I ran around crazy
So on with the pictures:
This is my buddy Annie and her family.
Kaye and Barbara from my moms ward. Barbara was my Young Women's president when I was younger. (Seriously I am surprised she still talks to me...I was such a brat)
This is my cousin Christine and her family.
She is so darn pretty.
My beautiful cousin Wilmet, her eyes are UNREAL!
Her little grand daughter is a cute little ham. Good thing I was so busy or I would have put her in pocket and run away with her.
Wes and his family. (Wes is like my third brother.)
Joe, Sissy and some other ward members. Ben practically proposed to little Sissy.
![]() |
| The Chiltons! Cory is the furthest away from a wicked witch one could be! |
Kenny and his family. Kenny is my sister-in laws brother....that makes him my? I don't know what. But I'll keep him!
![]() |
| My moms cousin Nancy and her daughter Kim. I haven't seen them since I was a toddler! |
| Shelita, my sweetie Dahling and her two boys. |
![]() |
| My Aunt Billie |
I adore her. I don't remember what she said, but as usual she cracked me up.
My Aunt Terri and Cousins Lori and Stacy.
My cousin Sara and her kiddos.
Sara is my Brat. I don't even remember how and when she got the nickname, but I just love her!
These are my moms 'Curves buddies'. I went with her to Curves once while I was there. Half the fun of the surprise party was running into everyone the whole week before the party and snickering behind my moms back as she 'introduced' me to people I had been facebooking about the party for a month!
This is my Sweetie again with her mom, Eva. Funniest part of the party was while we were going around talking about memories of my mom, Eva talked about how she thought I was a bad influence as a kid. I tried to record everyone while they spoke, but spent most of that speech filming Shelita's mortified response. (I probably was a bad influence. Once I was toilet papering Shelitas house with another friend. She caught us, and just decided to come out and help!)
| My amazing brother Anthony and Nephews. |
| Oliver & Uncle Anthony |
| Oliver & Dunney |
| Boys, boys boys! |
Zachary and Coleman thought it was the funniest thing ever to act like they were holding up the emerald City.
This might be the most normal picture I got of my family the whole night!
My kids are either photo bombing or being total posers.
Speaking of photo bombing....

On the far left is Paul, he is the brother of Sissy (my future daughter in law) My mom adores him and tells me inspirational stories about him often. In the center is my moms best buddy Darlene and on the right her daughter Corrine. Corrine is my life saver. She came and helped Shelita and I set up for the party. My mom tells me often how alike we are. That must be why I think she is so wonderful!
![]() |
| Kaye, my mom and Aunt Mary |
| High School Buddies. |
My Aunt Mary (fathers sister) and my mom were best friends growing up. That is how my mom and father met. Kaye is another school friend that she recently reunited with.
![]() |
| Aunt Mary, Auntie Ann, Uncle John and Cousin Marina. |
| As I took this group shot someone suggested I be in it. So I put my self in...GOT IT! |
It was a fun night and I am glad my mom was able to see just how much everyone loves her.













No comments:
Post a Comment