This political cartoon hilariously points out one of the city's most recent blunders. The city has always been anti-business and anti-growth. Because of that, there are not as many new businesses here as there could be. Our friends tried to build a water park (apiratesparadise.com) but after so many roadblocks purposely being set in their way (literally some illegal) they crossed the border for safer Arizona lands. Hundreds of potential jobs were lost in that example. With a large casino closing this week and over 700 people being jobless, the already scarce job market has been destroyed. We could have used the jobs that our anti-growth City Council has so callously avoided.As if rubbing salt in the community's wounds they wrote an ordinance inhibiting the long standing annual can food drive the local Salvation Army and the Boy Scouts sponsor. The ordinance was written to prevent door to door soliciting.
I may have not attended the best schools on this planet growing up, but they were able to teach the difference between selling things and collecting for charity. Apparently the schools Madame Mayor went to were not this advanced. The ordinance was written in a way that even made it illegal for the Boy Scouts to go collecting door to door for the can food drive. It even makes it illegal for missionaries to go door to door! I'd hate to think what would happen if I left a note on my friends door letting her know I stopped by to do my visiting teaching while she was out...the swat team might show up! The Boy Scouts went to the City Council meeting to voice their concerns for the way the ordinance was written. The Mayor simply said, sorry I can't break the rules for any organization. She couldn't change the ordinance to allow them to seek charity because she couldn't allow only certain groups/organizations. She also said that it would be too dangerous to allow anyone to leave fliers or anything hanging on doors because if people were out of town for several months (snowbirds) the items would stack up and crooks would see it and break in.
Here is my rant-
Why can't we re-write the ordinance to dis-allow only SOLICITING not other kinds of door to door pursuits !? Can we write the ordinance to have common sense? Or should I be prepared to get handcuffed for caroling this Christmas??
I think my 7 year old can see the difference, but even our madame mayor can not.
Also- Since when is the Mayor more concerned about what is best for the snow birds over the REAL residents of Mesquite.
The real residents of Mesquite are hurting more then ever with job loss right at the peak of the holiday season...the season of giving and charity. I work for low-income housing and I can see the pain families are facing first hand. The City crippled the salvation army in a time that the community needed charity the most.
Mrs. Mayor and City Council drones , start praying your beloved snowbirds are around for your re-election time. I just might go door to door to ask us real Mesquite residents to think twice about re-electing such ignorance.
1 comment:
Michelle
I always enjoy reading the things you write. That's too bad that the new mayor is pyscho! P.S. I LOVE the turkeys you came up with for place holders. You're so creative.
Miss you,
Melanie
Post a Comment