Last weekend Dave and his friend Tim went on a Man-cation to Utah. They had fun at a paintball tournament. I'm glad Dave has found a 'sport' he likes. It's about time he gets some exercise. He doesn't deserve his always trim body. Other then the expensive accessories and occasional bruises paintball is pretty good for Dave.
Since Dave was out of town, I got to take the little monsters to the ward party alone. Actually, Zachary was spending the night at a friends house so there were only 3 monsters. They were pretty good. Coleman found Bridger so he was taken care of for the night. Oliver was a little worn out and kept laying down in the middle of the floor. My main goal for the night was to keep Ben away from the desert table. I think he managed to sneak 2 doughnuts, several cookies and a Creamie. I was making offers to loan out a sugar strung 3 year old for the night...but there were no takers. Actually, Justin Ludvigson said he would take him, but then Ben found out that there wasn't a Wii at his house. That's a deal breaker. It was a fun activity. We played games, pictionary, name that tune and four-square. The four square was a hit, everyone played. Of course, some of us were playing like its pro-ball. (Achem...Julie)



Saturday I had a moment of pure stupidity and decided to take all 4 boys shopping at the mall in St. George alone. After ample threats and bribes I figured they would be at least a little good, and for the most part they were. Until it got a little too quiet and I realized Ben wasn't with us.
Dave tells me all the time that I am over protective. The boys aren't even allowed to go around our building when playing outside. If I can't see them when I look out the window I panic. I get really nervous letting them use a public men's room instead of making them go in with me. At 5 years old Dave said they had to go in the men's room, even if he wasn't there to take them. Yes, I realize that its weird to take an older boy in the women's room, but I also realize there are too many predators lurking around and you never know who they are. So I hover. I stand right near the men's room and eyeball everyone going in as if to say, "I'm watching you". Then every few minutes or so I push the door open and yell "You ok in there!?" Yes, again, I realize I am a freak. But if it prevents my kids from being victims even once I am willing to be the crazy lady giving all the men the stink eye near the men's room at Target.
So, being as psychotically protective as I am you would assume that I would not just loose one of my kids. Well last weekends trip to the mall busted that theory for me. We were in Sears looking for pants for the ever-growing Zachary. Coleman found something he had to try on too, so they were both in the dressing room. I had Oliver in a stroller luckily but Ben kept running away from me and heading into the dressing rooms. Since both his brothers were in there, he had to be too. So I let him go in. I was looking at some clothes right outside the door. I thought I was keeping a good eye on the doorway, but a few minutes later when Zachary came out I realized the quiet. I asked Zachary where Ben was and he said he left the dressing room before him.
I wasn't really panicked, Ben is my wild child. He was probably just hiding in one of the clothes rounders. I started searching them all. Then searching them again and calling his name. I knew it would be impossible for him to hide quietly, so I started to get worried that he went further. I crossed to the girls section, the babies section, then the bedding section. Still no Ben. After 5 minutes of searching I decided I could panic a little and told a cashier that my son was lost. When she looked at me blankly I asked her to call someone. Obviously something got lost in translation of what I was needing. She asked his name then said over the loud speaker, "Ben, your mother is waiting for you near the cash register in the boys department...Ben, to the Boys department." After resisting the urge to glare at her I yelled, "He's 3" over my shoulder as I pushed Oliver's stroller back to the dressing rooms. I figured I was on my own to find him. I made Zachary and Coleman sit in the middle of the isle with Oliver and drilled it into them that they are not to move. I started running through the store, calling Ben's name. When I got to the electronics department I was relieved. Of course, electronics! That is where Ben would be. He is drawn to them. But searching every computer and TV I couldn't see him. That is when I really started to panic and wondered if he didn't run off, but was carried off. Some employee who either had kids or just more common sense then the first, saw my face and asked what Ben looked like.
After I gave a description of Ben he called a "Code Adam" which means every employee stops what they are doing and looks for the child. Several even block all the entrances and exits. Another loop through the store and still no Ben. I told Zachary that I had to leave the store for a second and begged him to sit and not let his brothers move. I tried calling 911, but then remembered that my 9 button doesn't work on my cell thanks to Oliver's chewing. I walked out into the main part of the mall and tried to figure which way was more luring. One way had food, but the other had coin operated rides. We had seen the rides on the way in and I had bribed Ben that he could ride one later if he was good. But I doubted he would remember which way we came. It was down at the other end of the mall. Something told me to check anyway. As I got closer I checked out every kid on the rides, none were Ben. There was only one ride that I couldn't see into from the angle I was approaching. It was the ice cream truck. Just then a little head popped out of the ice cream truck window. My heart sank, not Ben. I had no idea what to do. Could somebody have gotten him out the door before the Code Adam? Should I check the other side of the mall? Should I check out the parking lot?
Since I had no idea what to do I just kept walking the way I was headed. When I got to the coin operated rides, there he was. Ben was squishing the little girl out the window of the ice cream truck. I was relieved, obviously. But VERY confused. I couldn't tell if I wanted to hug him, or kill him. Since I couldn't decide I threw him over my shoulder and headed back to Sears.
My friend June said it best when sharing a similar experience. "It shaves years off your life"
Saturday I had a moment of pure stupidity and decided to take all 4 boys shopping at the mall in St. George alone. After ample threats and bribes I figured they would be at least a little good, and for the most part they were. Until it got a little too quiet and I realized Ben wasn't with us.
Dave tells me all the time that I am over protective. The boys aren't even allowed to go around our building when playing outside. If I can't see them when I look out the window I panic. I get really nervous letting them use a public men's room instead of making them go in with me. At 5 years old Dave said they had to go in the men's room, even if he wasn't there to take them. Yes, I realize that its weird to take an older boy in the women's room, but I also realize there are too many predators lurking around and you never know who they are. So I hover. I stand right near the men's room and eyeball everyone going in as if to say, "I'm watching you". Then every few minutes or so I push the door open and yell "You ok in there!?" Yes, again, I realize I am a freak. But if it prevents my kids from being victims even once I am willing to be the crazy lady giving all the men the stink eye near the men's room at Target.
So, being as psychotically protective as I am you would assume that I would not just loose one of my kids. Well last weekends trip to the mall busted that theory for me. We were in Sears looking for pants for the ever-growing Zachary. Coleman found something he had to try on too, so they were both in the dressing room. I had Oliver in a stroller luckily but Ben kept running away from me and heading into the dressing rooms. Since both his brothers were in there, he had to be too. So I let him go in. I was looking at some clothes right outside the door. I thought I was keeping a good eye on the doorway, but a few minutes later when Zachary came out I realized the quiet. I asked Zachary where Ben was and he said he left the dressing room before him.
I wasn't really panicked, Ben is my wild child. He was probably just hiding in one of the clothes rounders. I started searching them all. Then searching them again and calling his name. I knew it would be impossible for him to hide quietly, so I started to get worried that he went further. I crossed to the girls section, the babies section, then the bedding section. Still no Ben. After 5 minutes of searching I decided I could panic a little and told a cashier that my son was lost. When she looked at me blankly I asked her to call someone. Obviously something got lost in translation of what I was needing. She asked his name then said over the loud speaker, "Ben, your mother is waiting for you near the cash register in the boys department...Ben, to the Boys department." After resisting the urge to glare at her I yelled, "He's 3" over my shoulder as I pushed Oliver's stroller back to the dressing rooms. I figured I was on my own to find him. I made Zachary and Coleman sit in the middle of the isle with Oliver and drilled it into them that they are not to move. I started running through the store, calling Ben's name. When I got to the electronics department I was relieved. Of course, electronics! That is where Ben would be. He is drawn to them. But searching every computer and TV I couldn't see him. That is when I really started to panic and wondered if he didn't run off, but was carried off. Some employee who either had kids or just more common sense then the first, saw my face and asked what Ben looked like.
After I gave a description of Ben he called a "Code Adam" which means every employee stops what they are doing and looks for the child. Several even block all the entrances and exits. Another loop through the store and still no Ben. I told Zachary that I had to leave the store for a second and begged him to sit and not let his brothers move. I tried calling 911, but then remembered that my 9 button doesn't work on my cell thanks to Oliver's chewing. I walked out into the main part of the mall and tried to figure which way was more luring. One way had food, but the other had coin operated rides. We had seen the rides on the way in and I had bribed Ben that he could ride one later if he was good. But I doubted he would remember which way we came. It was down at the other end of the mall. Something told me to check anyway. As I got closer I checked out every kid on the rides, none were Ben. There was only one ride that I couldn't see into from the angle I was approaching. It was the ice cream truck. Just then a little head popped out of the ice cream truck window. My heart sank, not Ben. I had no idea what to do. Could somebody have gotten him out the door before the Code Adam? Should I check the other side of the mall? Should I check out the parking lot?
Since I had no idea what to do I just kept walking the way I was headed. When I got to the coin operated rides, there he was. Ben was squishing the little girl out the window of the ice cream truck. I was relieved, obviously. But VERY confused. I couldn't tell if I wanted to hug him, or kill him. Since I couldn't decide I threw him over my shoulder and headed back to Sears.
My friend June said it best when sharing a similar experience. "It shaves years off your life"


5 comments:
YIKES!! I've momentarily lost my children and it is the freakiest feeling ever...so I can't imagine looking for so long!! I'm sooo sorry. Not fun.
Melanie
yeah I know about that horrible feeling. happened to us last year at california adventure. glad you found him. bet you'll never go shopping alone again with all 4 boys. LOL
I thought it may have been Ben. He is pretty crazy, but he is SO cute. Glad you found him!
Holy cow!! SO SCARY!!! I'm glad everything turned out all right (if you didn't end up killing him when you got home). And, oh yeah- don't mess with me and 4-square!
PS- those commercials did turn out pretty good, eh?
That is so scary! I'm glad that you found him.
Post a Comment