This past week I had to go to Tonopah for work again. It's summer break and Zachary and Coleman have not started their summer camp program yet. I decided to take them out of town with me. While I worked they rode their bikes around the properties and watched movies in the hotel. After I was done working I decided to take them around the town and check out the history.
Someone suggested the Tonopah Mine Museum. Tonoaph was once a big mining town that grossed millions in Silver annually. We talk about how bad the economy is now, but nothing is sadder then a mining town when the mines dry up. In the early 1900's Tonopah had over 7,000 residents. Now it is less then 4,000. There isn't' really any industry there. I think the town survives on being a 'pit stop'. People are always driving through Tonopah on their way to somewhere else.


The museum ended up being a gift shop with a movie on local history and a walking tour. I was amazed at the freedom they gave people. We were provided a map, and about 30 seconds of instructions then we were turned loose on the property. There were several mills, tunnels and old buildings. I was just amazed at how much we were able to see, touch, and go in. I almost felt like there should be someone says "Don't touch that, don't climb on that", but we had the place to ourselves! No one else was around and we got to explore the history of over 100 years ago.


There was a bridge that went over a big dig site. The boys got a little wary when they looked down and saw how far down the drop was.

It was REALLY deep.

Underground adventure... this is where I explained to the boys why mining was so dangerous..

Coleman ran through the tunnel afraid of cave ins, Zachary was still more scared of the family of pigeons living in the giant cracks in the ground. In the tunnels their cooing was pretty spooky.
Bathroom break...

What small world. When I went to sign the guest book I noticed that some people in our ward were there right before us! 100's of miles away, in the middle of nowhere.


1 comment:
What a small world! That looks like a cool place to go. If I ever find myself in Tonapah, we'll have to stop.
Post a Comment