Coleman had a field trip to Valley of Fire and Roos N' More Zoo in Moapa. I have been to the valley of fire before with Zachary's class. It is so beautiful. I want to go back sometime and see more of it. But in this area it is a delicate balance of seeing things when the temperatures are not too high.
They say it was named Valley of Fire because the color of the rock scape. I have lived here in the summer. I am pretty sure the name has something to do with how you feel when you are visiting it midsummer.
I brought Oliver along on the field trip, but forgot to do a shoe check on the way out the door. Crocs are not too sand friendly.
After lunch we headed to Moapa to a Zoo called 'Roos N' More'. This place is AMAZING. They have so many exotic animals you wouldn't expect to see in this area. And unlike any zoo I have ever been to, you can actually touch and hold these animals. It was unforgettable.
If you have ever seen the movie, "Night at the Museum" then you have seen the Capuchin monkey portrayed as a sneaky trouble maker. That is EXACTLY what they are like. The Capuchin- 'Kiko' at Roos N More was hilarious.
She climbed on all the kids and when I tried switching out my dead batteries for new ones she made a beeline for me. Apparently batteries are one of her favorite things to pilfer.
At one point while all the kids were over seeing a porcupine I took Oliver over to look at some baby monkeys. This Capuchin was a sweet heart and kept reaching out to hold our hands.
I don't remember what kind of monkey these little ones are but they were hilarious.
Shortly after this picture was taken this money aimed and tried to pee on me. He was screeching like he was laughing while doing it too.
While over in this area Kiko came over, she was still roaming free. Another parent was there and she picked his cell phone out of his pocket then ran away across the fence and on top of an enclosure.
I tried tempting her with one of my batteries to give the cell phone back but she wasn't interested. We heard his phone talking, she had tried making a call. She put it down to eat a chip she found and I jumped up to get it. I missed and she snatched it up before I could try again and then softly bit my finger to warn me. I then wagged my finger at her and told her NO, she then threw the phone at me.
She was mad at me the rest of the day, but when I saw her doing this I knew she was a kindred spirit.
There were so many neat animals like...
A bear cat...
A sloth...
Camels...
Otters...
Kangaroos....
A Toucan...
A Coatimundi...
Oliver was convinced that this Parrot is Skully, from Jake and the Neverland Pirates.
One of the coolest things we saw was the Armadillos. These could roll up into a complete circle.
They were amazing to see and hold.
I can't wait to go back and take all the kids to Roos n More. They actually encouraged the kids to touch and hold the animals. You can check them out here: roosnmore.org
No comments:
Post a Comment