Saturday, October 4, 2008

That's my boy!

I was really into theater in my younger years. It has always been my hope that my kids catch the acting bug. In my dreams they attend Tuachan high school. (http://tuachan.org/) However I never would have thought Zach would be my little actor. He has always been so shy.

A few years ago I took Zach to Tuachan's version of guys and dolls and he liked it. Then last year he saw his friends Anthony and Saul in a play. He turned to me and asked why he wasn't in it. I was shocked and thrilled!! I promised him he could be in the next one. So this year MCT a traveling theater group was having auditions for Rumpelstiltskin. They audition on Monday, practice all week and then perform that next weekend. Of course, it had to be the week of my surgery. Everything was so hectic already I hated to add another thing to our 'to do' list. Well, I have already been feeling like "my things" keep getting in the way of the family so I gave in.

One thing I forgot about was the audition. I was thinking the hard part (of getting Zach to want to be in the play) was over. However there were 25 more kids who showed up for auditions then there were parts. I just told Zach to smile and talk loud! He is such a shy guy I was so nervous for him. Once he raised his had to go up on stage with a magician. When he was picked to go up he just stood there and wouldn't help the magician. Finally the magician opened his wallet and paid Zach to help him!
I wasn't able to stay and watch, but I heard from other moms that he did great...and he got a part!!

My baby was a busy bee.



He was the biggest bee. By the end of the night he was busting out of his costume. It was like Chris Farley the younger years. He was the comic relief of the play without even trying. But its a start! He had fun and that is the most important thing. I wouldn't have missed it for all the pain in the world.


2 comments:

Julz said...

You did a great job Zach! And I LOVED the costume!

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

The bees are so cute! I used to act in Highschool and I think it's a great activity to be involved in.

I love Tuacahn!!! Have you seen their Halloween thriller? If you haven't you should go. I have been for the last 3 years and it's great. All dancing (by Odessey Company) celebrating the traditional halloween characters. It's quite a treat.