Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The view from here...


If you haven't heard I had surgery yesterday.
My foot/ankle had been hurting for years. I pretty much decided to ignore the pain. I figured if I just worked out more and got some weight off of it that it would get better on its own. Not only did that not work, I soon became less and less inclined to go to the gym. I was so good at ignoring the pain that at first I didn't even realize that was why. Then I got pregnant with Oliver and the pain worsened still. I figured it would go away when he came...it didn't. Then this summer we went to Disneyland. By the end of 5 days walking constantly I came home with the bottom of my foot completely numb. I figured that was scary enough to stop ignoring it.
I went to the foot specialist and found out that I have "shallow joints" meaning that my leg bone didn't grow long enough to create a good joint for my ankle. So when I stood on my tippy toes and it felt like my ankle was being ripped apart...that was because my ankle was being ripped apart. So with that good news came a second report that I had tendinitis. My tendons were pinching my nerves...hence the pain and numbness.
That is the surgery I had yesterday...three incisions to cut away tendons and relive pressure on my nerves. I was literally getting on my own nerves.
At some point in life I will have to still get my ankle joints rebuilt. I still have weak ankles. However that recovery means not being on my feet for 5 weeks. That isn't happening any time soon. Besides I guess I am still too prideful to admit to myself that I am old and in need of a joint replacement already!

Btw...thank you Everitts, Williams, Clemens and Ludvigsons for the extra help and meals. You guys are so busy with your own lives but still take time out to help. You are the best.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Michelle....I hope your surgery helps the pain! It's no fun to be down and out when you have to be the one up and going to take care of little ones. Wish I were there to help out.
Melanie

P.S. I'm jealous of your girls night out!

Ludvigson Family said...

I hope the foot feels better soon! If you need anything just holler! Holler? I totaly sound like a hick.hahaha